Sister Lucia reports that on 13 October 1917 Our Lady appeared at some point resembling Our Lady of Mount Carmel: "She had some things hanging from her hand (scapular) and she looked like the image which is venerated in the hotel parish of Fátima. "
On June 12, 1950, the Rev. P. General of the Carmelites, P. Kiliano Lynch, met in the Carmel of Coimbra with Sister Lucia. At this meeting she asked him to do something in Fatima to revive, in the soul of the Portuguese people, the ancient devotion to Our Lady of Mount Carmel.
The P. General took this request seriously and put his hands to work. The new foundation was to be the center of Carmelite devotion to Holy Mary.On March 13, 1955 the P. General himself presided when the foundation stone was first laid, on which was engraved: "Mater Decor Carmeli, grati filii hanc domum B. Nonii tibi dedicant. 13 Martii 1955".Thus making reference to the great national hero, the Holy Constable, and to the dedicated Carmelite Friar Nuno de Santa Maria.
August 14, 1957 was the inauguration of the House with a vast program. An International Congress of the Third Order was presided by the Discalced Carmelite, the eminent Cardinal Adeodato Piazza. Also attending were Rev. P. General Kiliano Lynch, as well as the Provincials of the Order, Mr. Núncio Apostólico, the Auxiliary Bishop of Leiria, some Carmelite bishops, in addition to many other Carmelite brothers and numerous from the Third Order who had come from all over the world. From the beginning, the building was intended to welcome people and institutions that wanted to go into Retreat. But most other gatherings of various kinds were being held in these facilities which were prepared to welcome approximately 160 people throughout its five floors.Between November 2008 and March 2010, the facilities were completely renovated and adapted to the new legal requirements. The House was rated as a three-star hotel. With the canonization of the Blessed Nuno de Santa Maria on April 26, 2009, the name of the House was changed to Hotel Casa São Nuno.